Being a vegetarian is not an obstacle to enjoy the delicious dish from the South as today you can make vegan recipes for popeyes red beans and rice. Even though some vegetarian dishes are known as tasteless and less flavorful, this recipe is different.
Going healthy does not always sacrifice your appetite! This Southern dish is quite flavorful with the nice combination of red beans and rice. If you like to have a new variation of diet, the following vegan recipes for popeyes red beans and rice is available for you.
- 6 cups rice, cooked
- 1 pound red beans, dried
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 celery stalks
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 yellow onion, medium size
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 bell pepper, medium size
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch sliced green onions
- Cayenne pepper as desired
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- Fill a large pot with water, add red beans and soak overnight.
- On medium heat, cook diced celery, onion, bell pepper and minced garlic. Stir often until softened.
- Drain the beans and rinse. Add the beans to the pot along with vegetables.
- Add veggie broth, thyme, bay leaf, oregano, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Close the lid and bring to boil. After boiling, lower the heat and simmer the pot for 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- After 2 hours, open the lid and check the texture of your red beans. If it is tender and soft, mash some of the bean to thicken the broth. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Vegan popeyes red beans recipe is ready to serve with rice.
This simple recipe is for 6 to 8 servings with 3 hours of cooking time. If you do not have any idea for this dinner, vegan recipes for popeyes red beans and rice should be on your list! For more information about vegan recipes for popeyes red beans and rice, click here. RFA